Rivista di Estetica (2/2023)
Title: The Philosophy of Television Series
Guest editors: Mario Slugan (Queen Mary University of London) and Enrico Terrone (Università di Genova)
Deadline for submission: 1 April 2022
It is often said that television series are nowadays as good as films, or even better than them, but the philosophical inquiry into the former remains much less developed than the philosophy of film. A handful of recent books have tried to fill the gap, but there is much work still to be done. Significant contributions to the aesthetics of television series are coming from television studies and film studies, raising issues which philosophers are challenged to address. The special issue of Rivista di estetica looks for philosophical perspectives on television series with the aim of exploring this new fascinating area of research in which aesthetics and media studies can fruitfully interact. Topics for papers may include but are not limited to the following:
- Is TV series a self-standing form of art or is it to be traced back to the cinema?
- What is the relationship between television series and films?
- What is the relationship between television series and other forms of television (e.g. talk shows, reality shows, news)?
- What sets the Golden Age of Television (Peak Television) apart from the preceding era?
- Is there a narrative specificity of television series?
- What is the effect of seriality/seasonality on television series?
- How are television series related to other serial narratives such as comics?
- How do television series deal with the system of film genres?
- The fiction/nonfiction divide in television series.
- The antihero and the antiheroine as outstanding characters in television series
- Philosophical themes in television series
Instructions: Articles must be written in English and should not exceed 30.000 characters.
In order to submit your paper, please register and login to: http://labont.it/estetica/index.php/rivistadiestetica/login
When asked “What kind of file is this?”, please select the relevant CFP.
Please notice: when asked “What kind of file is this”, please select the relevant CFP.